10 Best Ways To Protect Yourself From Covid-19Jeffrey Dagpin
Cebu, Philippines — The world has once again been astounded by another endemic disease known as the ‘Coronavirus Disease 2019’. This disease causes respiratory problems and was discovered in the Hubei Province, Wuhan, China which is the center of the virus after it had infected hundreds. This city has been completely closed off. Countries that have been infected by this disease includes; China, Thailand, Japan, republic of Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan etc. Now the number of individuals infected in China as at January 2020 has reached tens of thousands and hundreds across the globe leading to the United Nations health agency declaring it ‘public enemy number one’ Several cases of coronavirus has also been confirmed in various states in the US such as; Arizona, Washington, New York etc. as of February 5th 2020. A major challenge that doctors and other health workers are facing in battling this disease is that it is air-borne and as such increases the risk of transmission. Furthermore, no vaccine has been discovered that will aid in protection from the coronavirus neither has any antiviral treatment been recommended. People infected with the virus only receive care that can lead to a bit of relief from the symptoms. It has been noted that the elderly with pre-existing medical illnesses are more susceptible to the coronavirus as there have been relatively few documented cases of infection in children. However like every other disease that has plagued the earth, the Coronavirus can be prevented and managed as the World Health Organisation (WHO) and many other health organizations are working ceaselessly to find a way to curb this disease.
There are several types of coronaviruses including those that are known to cause what we call the ‘Common Cold’. The Covid-19 however has been deemed deadly as it has never before been heard of. Scientists have come to a conclusion that this form of coronavirus was transmitted to man from an unidentified animal host which is highly unusual. This disease can be transmitted through several ways which include; droplets of saliva, discharge from the nose, contact with contaminated surfaces etc. Studies have proven that symptoms show after about 5-6 days after contamination whereas the period of incubation is 2 weeks and also that an infected person could transfer the pathogen to 2-4 individuals. One major set-back that was identified during the researches carried out on this virus is that it is not easily identified. This is due to the fact that the symptoms that accompany it are common and can easily be associated to other diseases. However in severe cases, the disease can lead to multiple organ failure, muscle ache and tiredness, coughing up blood, shortness of breath, pneumonia and death. Covid-19 is similar to other coronaviruses such as those that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). This type of coronavirus has been found to be even more communicable than the SARS which was easily subdued after 8 months when it surfaced in the year 2002.
Although the government and health officials are seeking various means to put an end to the widespread of this virus, the society at large has its own role to play. That is why it is advisable for every individual who reside in areas where this disease is endemic to take certain measures in order to protect themselves. This is such that the health care providers don’t turn into patients themselves. These protective measures include;
- Wear A Face Mask: As earlier mentioned, the coronavirus is an airborne disease making it even more deadly than other water borne or soil transmitted disease as every human being needs to breathe. The WHO in conjunction with The Centre for Disease Control (CDC), has highly recommended that individuals living in these endemic areas especially those who are showing symptoms of the virus should put on facemasks in order to prevent infecting others. This is essential for health officials who work in close proximity with the infected. It has been advised that those using the face masks should ensure that there are no gaps between the face and the mask. The masks should also be properly be disposed of after use and most importantly, avoid touching the masks when wearing it.
- Wash Your Hands Regularly: Individuals are advised to wash their hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds and at regular intervals especially after tasks such as; coughing, sneezing, eating, going to the bathroom etc. When washing, focus on the areas between the finger tips and under the nails. Also pay attention to your wrists and elbows. This should be done using an antiseptic soap and water or better still a hand sanitizer that has an alcohol content of at least 60%.
- Avoid Contact With Infected Individuals: Close contact with infected individuals has been discovered to enhance the transmission of this disease. As such, individuals that show symptoms of this virus should be avoided as much as possible or better still taken to health facilities that are better equipped to handle them.
- Disinfect Your Household: Regularly clean household equipment that are frequently used. This can be done using various cleaning agents and sprays as it helps to reduce the risk of infection by a wide range. It has been discovered that the pathogen survives more on surfaces than when exposed to air. It is also affected by temperature and humidity. Hence, it is extremely important to ensure that every surface in the house is wiped clean.
- Respiratory Acts Should Be Done Responsibly: Learn to cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing. This should be done using a tissue which should be properly disposed of afterwards. Also, a certain distance of about 6ft should be given to infected individuals who are carrying out these respiratory acts so as reduce the risk of infection.
- Avoid Touching Your Face With Unwashed Hands: Covid-19 is transmitted through respiratory vapor and as such, it is advisable to avoid placing your hands on your face especially when it has not been properly washed. This is because when an infected person coughs, droplets of saliva is released into the vicinity and this can easily be inhaled or picked up on the hands of an uninfected person. When such hands are brought to the face, the individual is likely to be infected.
- Do Not Be In Close Proximity With Animal Markets: As scientists have mentioned that this particular type of coronavirus might have been transferred from animals, it is advisable to avoid close contact with animals and animal markets especially in affected areas. Try as much as possible to avoid contact with contaminated animal waste and fluids. Although it is not certain which animal in particular is the carrier of this disease, it is better to be safe than sorry.
- Avoid Eating Undercooked Animal Products: This should be strictly adhered to especially when liv ing in endemic areas. All animal products should be properly cooked or processed to prevent contamination from undercooked foods. Eating of raw meat should also be highly avoided during this period. WHO recommends that individuals adhere to the right food safety practices.
- Isolation: If there is a chance that you would be travelling to China for a particular purpose, it is advisable to see your doctor first before departure. Upon arrival, do not go to public places such as work or school for at least 14 days so as to be conversant with the situation on ground and also to be sure that you are not at risk of being infected or infecting others.
- Seek Medical Attention Early: When you notice the display of some likely coronavirus symptoms such as; fever, cough etc. it is recommended that you seek medical help immediately so as to manage the symptoms before it becomes deadly. Various countries now have their emergency numbers like that of China which is ‘111’ for the virus in particular. This should be dialed when help is needed
Covid-19 as of now has no known cure and as such has claimed thousands of lives. This goes to show how deadly it can be and how widespread it can go if not properly contained. However, various researches are being carried out in order to close the chapter of this endemic virus like all other viruses which has come before it. This can be attributed to the fact that Zhong Nanshan who is China’s top medical expert on the virus gave a briefing to the Reuters news agency saying that he expects the epidemic to end by April. Furthermore, the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has partnered with Sanofi Pasteur and Johnson & Johnson in order to develop vaccines that can be used to eliminate COVID-19. This research will be done with the support of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA). With all this in mind, there is every possibility that with time and support from not only the government and health officials but the masses as well, this too shall pass.
However, there is another way to protect ourselves from Covid-19, that is to boost our immune system. No better method to boost the immune system than by having glutathione consumed by our body through intravenous injections. In fact, doctors prescribed injectable glutathiones to cancer patients who have undergone chemotherapy and subjected to radiation. This is to minimize the effect of the radiation and boost the patient’s immune system. Let us not forget, that this is a virus with no known vaccination yet so the only way to prevent it is our own natural defenses.